Need inspiration for an outdoor learning activity. Valentines day is coming up and its the perfect time to talk about love. Instead of romantic love we’ll be focusing on love for nature. How we can show we care. Rather than buying pink tat we’re going to make wildflower seed heart paper to give to people we love.
How to Make Wild Flower Seed Paper Valentines
What You Need
- 1 cup of ripped-up newspaper or scrap paper
- 2 cups of water
- Wildflower seeds
- A paper frame and large baking tin
- 2 large bowls
Prep Your Paper
- Tear the paper into small pieces. My children enjoyed doing this! Be sure to throw in a few small pieces of red or pink paper.
- In a blender, blend the water and paper until it’s like porridge. We used a cycle powered smoothie maker.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl.
- Take handfuls of the pulp and squeeze out most of the water. The pulp should be moist, but not dripping wet.
- Put your squeezed-out pulp into a clean bowl.
Make Your Seed Paper
- Sprinkle your pulp with wildflower seeds let the children gently mix with their fingers.
- Divide your pulp into equal parts.
- Mash each part into the paper frame and squish out as much water as possible.
- You can pat the tops dry with a cloth to get rid of excess moisture.
- Place the paper on a cookie rack for another 24 hours to finish drying.
- Cut out heart shapes and add to homemade cards or simply give them as Valentines.
Country file also have good instructions on how to do this.